[dokuwiki] Re: Silly debian/ubuntu installation defaults - but how do I fix them?

  • From: Kite <kite@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 08:29:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Chris,

Open a terminal or command line window.
Try "sudo bash"
Try "su root"

sudo (super-user do) should ask for YOUR password, and leave you in a superuser
command line.
su (switch/set user) should ask for root's password; try blank, or just hit
return.  You should have set a password during set up, so try those options,
too.

The restriction is that a superuser can't log in remotely, and can't login
directly on the console.  You ALWAYS have to log in as someone else, then
elevate your access.

Once you're in as root by either method, use passwd to change the root password
for yourself so other users can have accounts, but not just bump to root.

Kite