[dokuwiki] Security details on installation

  • From: "Doug Essinger-Hileman" <greypilgrim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:07:17 -0400

I am just now in the process of installing DokuWiki, at the point of
turning my attention to the security issues brought up on the
security page (http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:security). I need some
help.

So as not to overlook any details which might be helpful, let me say
that I installed "normally" and made sure everything was running
well. Then I moved ./bin out of the docroot; everything continued to
work well. Then I moved ./data out of the docroot and changed the
configuration file per the directions. Everything continued to work
well.

Then I moved ./conf out of the docroot and made the changes
recommended. But things are not working. Specifically, when I try to
access my DokuWiki I am served up a blank page (specifically,
doku.php, but blank).

From observing the wiki's behavior as I made other changes, I am
assuming that this means that it cannot find the configuration file
to learn the "new" location of data directory. This suggests to me
that the prepend.php file is not working as intended.

I did som reading on the auto-prepend-ini setting in php. If I read
correctly, this change working depends on having the php funtion
"allowoverrides" turned on. By default, the function is turned off.

I've sent a note to the system tech guru (I'm on a server shared with
five other people), and haven't received a response yet. But I'm
wondering if I can get enough information from this group to feel
confident that I'm thinking along the right lines here or not.

Doug