[dokuwiki] Re: RSS feed questions

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:32:31 -0500 (CDT)

> > (2) Is there a way to preclude a page from ever showing up in the RSS
> > feed?  (I have pages that serve as indexes to other pages, and I don't
> > have other users editing my site.)
>
> Was asked before (for playground). It's not possible currently. Adding a
> config option accepting a regexp could be an idea. Add a feture request.

I'm not sure what the regex would do.  I was more thinking of embedding a
sytactic flag on the page.

> > (3) Is there a way to preclude a particular edit from showing in the
> > RSS feed?  (I also don't understand how DokuWiki decides whether to
> > include an edit or not -- it seems to be selective.)
>
> Talked about it - should be a minor edit checkbox.

I'll code this one up.  But on my site, I don't like the idea of accidentally
submitting an edit whose summary is empty and for which the minor-edit checkbox
is unchecked.  Should I compliment the checkbox with a config variable
($conf['requiresums']?) for requiring summaries, unless the minor-edit checkbox
is set?

I guess in my mind the empty summary is identical to the minor-edit.  Maybe we
instead need the config variable I originally proposed, which precludes empty
summaries from showing in the RSS.

I want to get this fix in, but I'm not sure what's right.

> > (4) Should it be possible to record the full user name in the RSS feed
> > rather than name@ipaddress, at least for logged in users?
>
> Well I added it this way because the feedvalidator (forget where it is
> located do a quick google search) said that the author needs to be a
> valid email address.

No, it's freeform (look for 'creator'):

http://web.resource.org/rss/1.0/modules/dc/
http://dublincore.org/documents/1999/07/02/dces/
http://web.resource.org/rss/1.0/modules/dcterms/

It really depends on how clients are using the field in practice.  I bet there
are clients out there that will pick up on an embedded email, but per these
specs, those clients couldn't require the email address.

I'm not impressed with the Dublic Core module specs.  It doesn't express much
care.  Usually the RDF diehards care about every subtle nuance.

I'm curious, why is DokuWiki using RSS 1.0?  That's my least favorite, being
expressed in pure RDF.  In my opinion RDF violates the whole spirit of XML, and
I even sat on the RDF working group for a few years.  RSS 2.0 seems to be
picking up steam with the newspapers.  (2.0 is not the successor to 1.0 -- this
was a coup attempt on the RSS name by a competing standard.)  And Atom is my
favorite.

Thanks for digging up my old questions...

~joe