[dokuwiki] Re: Proposals for a cleanup on the splitbrain wiki

  • From: Michael Klier <chi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:48:58 +0200

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 02:15:46PM -0300, Felipe Uderman wrote:
>    Yes, with pagemove plugin you can easylly move or rename a page, and
>    all the links on the wiki will be automatilly changed. But if someone
>    tries to access the old page name/location (it will still be cached by
>    search engines), then a "this page does not exist yet, create it" is
>    what the users will get. Is there allready a plugin for redirection on
>    this case?

As nice as the idea with "pagemove" plugin sounds, I am not convinced that
this plugin works 100% on a large number of pages because of some simple
reasons.

I've downloaded the plugin to take a look at the code. It does all the
logic of finding possibly broken backlinks etc. by running a bunch of regular
expressions on the plain text of every page in the Wiki. I think however the
plugin should rather work on the page instructions level to eliminate most
points of possible failure and take the page meta data ("relation" etc.) into
account. Simply put, we have much smarter ways to assemble lists of media
references, backlinks, external links etc. but the plugin uses none of them
and relies completely on it's own logic, which leads me to believe that we
shouldn't use it.

Just my 2 cents

PS.: On the other hand, while thinking that much about it I am now convinced
that writing a solid working pagemove plugin might not be that hard ... but
not trivial too.

Cheers,
        Chi

--