[dokuwiki] Re: Performance in Browser in relation with size of data folder

  • From: Christopher Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:29:46 +0100

On 6 Aug 2009, at 10:23, Kay Roesler wrote:

Hi everybody,

I just updated our dokuwiki from the old 2007-06-26b version to the
2009-02-14b. Everything works fine, only the performance is bad now. But
it wasn't that fast before either.

Currently the data folder has 1.3G. Does anybody have experience with
performance issues in relation to many files? The server load itself is not very high, but as soon as I load a dokuwiki page the cpu runs up to
100%. The reaction is below 3sec for the user in FF.

Any conclusions or experience on this?

Its difficult to know from the information you've given.

Updating does completely expire the cache, so the first view of every page will result in it being rebuilt from scratch. The time that takes is highly dependent on the page content and server specification. In particular, pages with lots of links may require rebuilding of metadata for all the pages they link to.

The workload on the server may also be effected by your template, e.g. templates with sidebars containing indexes.

After the first page visit, do subsequent visits result in less strain on the server? I expect dokuwiki to supply a page from cache in 100ms or less (obviously, this is dependent on your server hardware).

If subsequent visits do show reduced server impact, consider spidering your wiki overnight or during some low use time.

Dokuwiki's cache logic is now quite robust, i.e. it is very good at recognising when a page needs to be reconstructed. You may find you can increase the cachetime config variable quite significantly. Iirc, its set to the seconds for one day (86400). Try it at one month (2592000). This will reduce the time the server spends rebuilding infrequently viewed pages.

I'm always interested in profiling how dokuwiki performs in large real life wikis. If your wiki isn't strictly confidential and you wouldn't mind allowing it to be used, please get in touch directly with me.

- Chris