[dokuwiki] Re: Passing links to images through without pefetching

  • From: Dmitry Katsubo <dma_k@xxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 11:37:39 +0200

Andreas Gohr wrote on 10.07.2010 00:34:
>> In the case I've described, the external image is embedded as
>> is, so the direct link should be returned to the browser, thus reducing
>> the traffic for the server.
>
> We call that hotlinking and it causes traffic costs to the owner of
> the original image. Even with no resizing, DokuWiki will cache the
> image (if conf['fetchsize'] permits) to reduce load on the remote
> server, because that's the polite thing to do.

I have $conf['fetchsize']=0 in my config. Does it mean that the caching
is disabled? Or the the contrary, images of any size will be fetched?

And one more question: if remote image is not available anymore, but was
previously cached, will it be displayed or will it also expire from
cache? I dream about the feature to have the images in the cache forever
:) My disk space does not matter, but disappearance of remote images is
very annoying.

Thank you!

--
With best regards,