[dokuwiki] Re: Out of box settings

  • From: Maarten Boot <mboot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 20:21:15 +0100

I was rather taken with the wizzard supplied with mambo and joomla
I worked flawless both on my local laptop as well as on my hosting account at godaddy where i have no shell access.

Maarten boot

Chris Smith wrote:
Christopher Mc Carthy wrote:

This means either a config script/'wizard' (with the problem of rights
as Andreas has pointed out), or two archives every time a new version is
released (much more work for Andreas).  Two archives will be required,
or a single archive must provide an easy way to upgrade.

Not necessarily. Whatever happens there is no way around the problem of permissions. Its a host/server thing not a dokuwiki thing as such I don't think we should concern us too much with it - except to make the user aware of exactly what needs to be changed.

My idea is for an install script to be included in the release - of course any decision on that is up to Andi. But my first (rough and ready) version of the script is done. Assuming permissions are set correctly on the data and config folders the script will optionally do one or more of configure a single (super) user, create an empty changes.log, copy the .dist version of acl.auth.php and create a local.php with four settings (title, superuser, useacl & data).

Installing dokuwiki with acl becomes a very simple four step process.
- download and expand release package
- set permissions on /conf and your chosen data directories (and any other special requirements made by your host/server)
- access install script in your favourite browsers
- login to dokuwiki and
- install any desired plugins
- configure acl
- if downloaded config plugin, adjust other configuration settings
- if downloaded user manager plugin, setup your initial users.

Upgrading dokuwiki "should" already be a painless experience. There is no longer any need to amend any of the files included in the Dokuwiki release package, meaning an upgrade is an extract of the new dokuwiki package overwriting your current installations files.

Cheers,

Chris