[dokuwiki] Re: Online configuration tip - need assesment

  • From: "Notamment.be" <postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 02:26:50 +0100

Chris Smith wrote :

I misunderstood the reason you couldn't edit the files, I now understand what you're after. Your wiki does have write permissions to conf folder - it must if you can use config plugin. You are right that there currently is no provided editor for smileys.conf, interwiki.conf, entities.conf, etc. You shouldn't update these files though ... let me explain.

dokuwiki.php - default settings, shouldn't be edited.
local.php - local settings, can be edited, use config plugin (or your system)

<snip>

(First, sorry for the long delay, I was held up away from my computer... might happen again.)

Yes, I know about local files. What I did was just quick n' dirty. Of course, editing local files is _much_ smarter. Eg for upgrades.

To be honest, I think it would be handy to have a "DOKU_LOCAL" setting separate from "DOKU_CONF". That would allow the local settings files to be placed somewhere other than the .conf folder. I guess acl.auth.php & users.auth.php should count as local files. The last touch would be to have another setting "DOKU_LOCAL_EXT" to leave at default or specify txt.

I was thinking about that too, but that kind of change is a tad too ambitous for me. I do not know any php yet.

But does this (dirty, I know) modification create any major problem I am unware of ?