[dokuwiki] Re: New repository plugin

  • From: Andreas Haerter <list+dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 05:51:06 +0100

Am 29.12.2010 20:36, schrieb Håkan Sandell:
> Feedback is appreciated

Just one small question: What about a dokuwiki.org based forwarding
layer to get stable plugin download URLs?

It would be very cool if there are static and stable download URLs for
plugins installed via download manager, something like
> http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:foobar?download=true
This would be a "HTTP 302 Moved Temporarily" forward or something like
that, pointing to the real download URL.

Background: Today, I want to start taking control about the metaheaders
plugin[1] as agreed by Chi. I'm currently facing the problem of a
changed download URL (pointing to the new repository located at my
Github account) and existing users. Main problem is that Chi wants to
keep his own repos up for some time, therefore we have got working
legacy URLs.
This means an existing user never gets informed about a new version
released by me -> If the user is clicking on the plugin manager's
"Update" button, there will be no download error and therefore no
trigger to visit [1] to get informed about the changed URL and/or new
plugin versions. A dokuwiki.org forward would solve problems like new
maintainer/server/foobar in the future... or am I missing something?

[1]<http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:metaheaders>

--
Andreas <http://blog.andreas-haerter.com>