[dokuwiki] Re: New Release of plugins and new helper plugin type

  • From: "Esther Brunner" <wikidesign@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 01:18:11 +0100

Hi Chris

I think you do probably need one change in the main DW codebase - adding
"helper" to the list of valid plugin types.  That will get their details
listed in the plugin manager.

Ok, I'll submit a darcs patch. And shall I add "renderer" as well?

One question:
- Your method of loading the helper plugin will load it irrespective of
its disabled setting.  That could well be desirable, it would, for
example, allow the blog plugin to work whilst preventing the include
plugin syntax.  Is that what you intended?

Hm no, it's not intended. Is it desirable then? Loading disabled
helper plugins could make sense, but also lead to confusion. I will
update my plugins to check plugin_isdisabled().

By the way: Do you think getMethods() is useful to generate a
semi-automatic reference for methods of helper plugins other plugins
can use? Or would it be better to add more extensive PHPdoc style
comments, because plugin authors need to look at the code anyway?

At present, for both new installs and updates, the
plugin manager downloads and decompresses the plugin in a temporary
directory, before copying it to the actual plugin directory. After
downloading/decompression it could do some version investigation and
determine whether or not to overwrite an existing copy.  I would guess
the best solution would be to include a version file.

That makes sense. In some way we already have version information
inside php plugin files (date), but this may be tricky if multiple
components have different dates. The modification date of plugin files
might also not be a reliable indicator. What do you think of an empty
yyyy-mm-dd.version or 1.2.3.version file?

I took a look at your wiki page for the new include plugin.  You don't
list any changes in the update.  Apart from your reorganisation for the
helper plugin, were there any changes?

No, no additional functionality except config options for a meta line
below the included page as known from the Blog Plugin. I was not sure
whether the meta line belongs more to the Blog or more to the Include
Plugin, but it may be useful for both, so I added it to the Include
Plugin. Apart from that, some functions were renamed. _inFilechain()
is now also used to set the page, therefore it's called setPage().
_include() is now called getXHTML().

I have been tinkering with the include plugin to allow caching of the
included pages through an action plugin component handling the
PARSER_CACHE_USE event.  There may be some other improvements.  It'd be
handy to know which bits to check before offering a patch back to you.

Great!

Best regards

-- esther