[dokuwiki] Re: Namespace without start page?

  • From: "Jerry Schwartz" <jerry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 13:08:31 -0400

>> The sub-namespaces are just to make it easier to find things when I want to
>> create a link (and apply ACLs, too). Does that make some sense?
>
>Yes, that makes sense regarding the organisation and hierarchy of
>namespaces. There are many reasons to use namespaces and this is one of
>them.
>
>But it still doesn't make sense to use hierarchical breadcrumbs then.
>Because they are no use to you at all, right? I guess there are only two
>solutions: Either don't use them (and use youarehere instead or
>completely remove them) or add start pages for those subnamespaces.
>
>I guess, this is not a DokuWiki-specific but rather a general issue. I
>remember other projects in my professional life where clients had
>problems populating their start pages of their website's main or sub
>navigation.

[JS] I agree. Back at the dawn of time, I favored large start pages with many
links because they were served and rendered more quickly. There was a big tax
on navigation. Obviously that technique was cumbersome, and as things got
faster all around I stopped using it.

>You don't have to use them; it might even be a good choice not to use
>them. But then you also shouldn't use features connected to them.

[JS] Well, since this stuff is three or four levels deep the breadcrumbs are
actually useful.

My two solutions are to create start pages or just ignore the red letters.

Since I've been using the {{page>}} macro to build my link lists anyways,
setting up a start page (even if it is redundant) isn't much of a chore.

I do wish the intra-wiki window were resizable, but that's a different issue.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
Global Information Incorporated