[dokuwiki] Re: Namespace without start page?

On 21/09/2011 21:57, Jerry Schwartz wrote:
IMHO, if you don't have start pages, hierarchical breadcrumbs don't make
much sense.

[JS] Well, you are right to a large degree, but I have a particular issue that
I'm trying to solve:

I have many pages. These pages are all pointed to by a start page.

The sub-namespaces are just to make it easier to find things when I want to
create a link (and apply ACLs, too). Does that make some sense?

Yes, that makes sense regarding the organisation and hierarchy of namespaces. There are many reasons to use namespaces and this is one of them.

But it still doesn't make sense to use hierarchical breadcrumbs then. Because they are no use to you at all, right? I guess there are only two solutions: Either don't use them (and use youarehere instead or completely remove them) or add start pages for those subnamespaces.

I guess, this is not a DokuWiki-specific but rather a general issue. I remember other projects in my professional life where clients had problems populating their start pages of their website's main or sub navigation.

You don't have to use them; it might even be a good choice not to use them. But then you also shouldn't use features connected to them.

Cheers,
Anika