[dokuwiki] Re: Multilingual wiki

  • From: "Esther Brunner" <wikidesign@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 10:48:14 +0100

Hi

> I think using metadata to create a relationship between pages is the
> most sensible.

I agree that would probably be nicer.

I also think that's the way to go. The language of a page can be
determined by it's namespace and saved to $meta['language']. I
personally would opt for lang:ns:page rather than ns:lang:page, but
either way is possible.

> [...] ~~LANG:es:translation~~ gives the
> name of the translated page.

If I understand cortrectly what you mean, that would require the translator
to edit every other language version of the page. You might not want to let
them; you might not want to have to keep track of it al manually; you might
not want to have to update already existing pages (thus changing their
history; thus affecting RSS feeds, etc.) just because a translation was
added, becasue after all, the original didn;t in fact change.

It would be nicer if there were some way that Dokuwiki itself automatically
'sees', by their mere existence, that different translations of the a page
exist. Some sort of "istranslationof" parameter perhaps?

Exactly. There is no Dublin Core metadata term[1] for translations,
but $meta['relation']['istranslationof'] fits nicely into the scheme.
Getting all translations of a page would then be very similar to a
backlinks search. To speed this search up, we probably need a
translation index relating pages to pages.

-- esther

[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/