[dokuwiki] Multilingual wiki

  Hi all,

  I'm working on adding multilingual support in DokuWiki. The goal is
  to handle pages which are available in different languages. At this
  stage I need your opinions on the way to handle a page variants i.e.
  page and its translated sisters, and more precisely, where you store
  these translated pages. I don't think storing a french translated
  variant of page.txt in the same namespace as page.txt but named
  page.fr.txt or page.txt.fr is a good idea as it may need too many
  changes and would certainly break some templates (I'm thinking of
  those with sidebar pages for example) and plugins.

  So we have mainly two ways to deal with page variants in dedicated
  language namespaces:

    1. local namespaces

    data/pages
            |-- de
            |   |-- page1.txt
            |   |-- page2.txt
            |   `-- start.txt
            |-- page1.txt
            |-- page2.txt
            |-- start.txt
            `-- wiki
                |-- de
                |   `-- start.txt
                `-- start.txt

    in this case for any page you want to provide in different
    language you store the translated pages in ./xx/page.txt where xx
    in the two letters code for the concerned language.

    2. top namespaces

    data/pages
            |-- de
            |   |-- page1.txt
            |   |-- page2.txt
            |   |-- start.txt
            |   `-- wiki
            |       `-- start.txt
            |-- page1.txt
            |-- page2.txt
            |-- start.txt
            `-- wiki
                `-- start.txt

    in this case the translated pages are all located in /xx/page.txt
    (a namespace xx at the top).

  Both language namespaces have (dis)advantages[1], so I'd like to
  know how you store your localized pages if you already run a wiki
  which serves contents in multiple languages.

  Have a nice weekend,

  [1] in terms of ACLs, RSS feeds, naming collisions, URLs schemes...

--
  bug