[dokuwiki] Re: Moving to Confluence

  • From: Galen Johnson <gjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 09:40:13 -0500

Andreas Gohr wrote:
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:50:48 -0500
"Bob McConnell" <rvm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In spite of a year and a half of successful operation with Dokuwiki,
Management has purchased new hardware and an enterprise license for
Confluence and have instructed IT to "help" all departments port their
pages from the Dokuwiki server into the Confluence wiki.

Is anyone here aware of tools that can be used to assist in that
migration?

I'm not, but if your management decided to buy new hardware and a
proprietary wiki system, they will probably be happy to buy support,
too ;-). I recommend asking Atlassian to provide such a script.

Andi

Actually, if you bought confluence, you do get some support...we went through something similar but didn't have a large amount of content. One of the biggest gotchas is going to be if you've added plugins to dokuwiki that aren't available in Confluence. There were only 2 reasons why our company switched (over my objections but I was glad they finally adopted any wiki...and I don't mean Sharepoint). 1) the security model in Confluence seems more robust and easier to manage. 2) it had a wysiwyg plugin (I work with a bunch of developers and you'd've thought they'd be ok with using wiki markup...not like it's difficult)...this was a couple of years ago before anyone had done anything with a wysiwyg plugin.

There are 2 things I don't like about Confluence...first is the markup syntax...there is no closing tag...all the macros begin and end the same way({code} some code here{code}) which makes it very easy to break the markup on longer pages...Confluence is the only wiki I'm aware of that chose to do it this way...secondly, it's written in java and uses velocity...not easy extend...unless you happen to be a java developer (I find PHP easier to deal with and doesn't require recompiling for every change).

But, of course, I'm sure that management took conversion into consideration in their purchase decision.

=G=