[dokuwiki] Re: Minor edits question

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:33:45 -0500 (CDT)

> (1) Since a small edit might be significant on some wiki (not likely
> splitbrain),
> maybe a minor edit is a 1 or 2 line edit for which no summary was given.

You know, this auto-determination thing isn't working for me.  Maybe my
requirements are too unique to try to fit them into DokuWiki proper.

I am maintaining a web site via DokuWiki.  People can subscribe via RSS to my
site to learn of changes to the site.  My subscribers are not
editors/site-maintainers, so they don't care about simple edits.  They only
care about meaty changes.

I need complete control over whether an edit appears in the feed.  If I change
the date or time of an event I'm holding -- a one line change -- I need
everyone to learn about it (a non-empty summary).  If I get a species name
wrong or have to fix multiple misspellings across a whole page -- multiple
lines -- I don't want to bother my subscribers with it.  I want people to trust
that entries in my feed are worth visiting.  DokuWiki just can't make the
determination for me.

Also, I'm starting to worry about whether the feed's current behavior of
including only the most recent change for a page is going to work.  I may
change the date/times/fees for two events on my calendar, doing so in separate
edits, and both of those edits need to appear in the RSS feed.  Perhaps I could
cat the multiple edit summaries together when posting the entry for a given
page.

Do you think my needs are too unique?  Should I keep trying to find common
ground?  Or are you finding yourselves empathizing with my scenarios?

~joe