[dokuwiki] Minor edits question

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:35:17 -0500 (CDT)

I plan to do two things:

(1) Add a minor edit checkbox to the page edit form.
(2) Add $conf['requiresums'] to allow for forcing the user to either provide a
summary or check the minor edit box.

My question: Should every edit always go into the change log?  Would minor
edits not appear in syndication feeds but always appear in old revisions lists?

I think it's probably appropriate to keep a record of all changes, even if the
user says it's minor.  It may not be minor; it may be spam.

If this is indeed the behavior we want, how should we signal a minor edit in
the change log?  Put a special string in the summary?  Maybe '*MINOR*'?  Or
just '*'?

My original thinking was that an empty summary signalled a minor edit, but Andi
pointed me to a feature request asking for a check box.  I think the check box
is better because I'd rather have the user explicitly declare the edit to be
minor; but in this case I'd rather also be able to force the user to provide a
summary for something that isn't minor, and hence my $conf['requiresums']
suggestion.  (In my particular use of DokuWiki, I **can't** have empty
summaries in my feed, as the user sees my feed as a blog, and it would be
confusing for old pages to reappear in the blog without a page-modified notice.)

Or perhaps we dump $conf['requiresums'] and make it always mandatory to either
provide a summary or click the checkbox.

~joe