[dokuwiki] Re: Media/image files, isn't there a simpler way?

  • From: Michiel Kamermans <pomax@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:07:26 -0700

Hi Crhis,

Have you actually tried that?  I can't get dokuwiki to display *any* files I put in
the<dokuwiki>/data/media directory.

Yes I have. But just to confirm, I checked my dokuwiki on http://grammar.nihongoresources.com, just now, and the images as well as pdf links are right there, linking quite correctly.

If your dokuwiki misbehaves, start by turning off all custom plugins you installed, and verifying the problem still exists. If it does, or if you didn't install any custom plugins, verify that you installed the dokuwiki using the install.php script, instead of just copying the dokuwiki files over and immediately using the dokuwiki.

Not really of interest, I just want the easiest possible way of referring to .pdf and similar files from within dokuwiki. My idealwould be to be able to simply refer to {{xyz.pdf}} and find xyz.pdf in the same directory as the referring dokuwiki text file.

Except that would break the moment you relocate one of several pages that link to the resource to a different namespace (page X, Y, Z point to local file F, X is moved to directory 'S', what do you do with F? which page "owns" the file? This is why media and text are typically separated, they live in different domains), so that's a bad solution. In fact, that would likely problems for many dokuwiki users, especially those who use dokuwiki for public project documentation, where categories change frequently and information is relocated as the project progresses through milestones.

- Mike