[dokuwiki] Re: Media/image files, isn't there a simpler way?

  • From: Chris G <cl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 22:32:50 +0100

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:20:16PM +0200, Fabian Noeldgen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/16/2010 09:51 PM, Chris G wrote:
> >E.g. if I upload the file image.png to<dokuwiki_home>/data/media
> >directory what's the correct link to refer to it?
>
> if an image is saved in the root namespace, you can refer to it as
> {{:image.png}} from every page. If it's in a namespace called abc,
> refer to it as {{:abc:image.png}}. No matter where you move your
> page.

Not on my dokuwiki!  :-)

I put *exactly* this on a page in my wiki, i.e. I entered
'{{:image.png}}' on a page and the result was absolutely nothing.
I.e. it didn't even show up as a missing link.

You *can* refer to the file <dokuwiki_home>/data/media/wiki/dokuwiki-128.png
as {{wiki:dokuwiki-128.png}} but if you copy the file to
<dokuwiki_home>/data/media/dokuwiki-128.png then referring to it as
{{:dokuwiki-128.png}} doesn't work.

In addition for some reason non-existent .png files are ignored
silently whereas non-existen .pdf files aren't ignore and the link is
shown in red.

Further experimenting, I have a file called exreglem-fr.pdf, I have copied
it to <dokuwiki home>/data/media.  If I put a link {{:exreglem-fr.pdf}}
on a wiki page the link looks valid (it's not red) but when I click on it
I just get a plain white page with just the words "Not found" displayed.

If I import the file through the image importing mechanism in the editing
page then I get a link that works!  It's all very strange and inconsistent
and confusing.

> Btw, there is a plugin[0] which lets you move pages around without
> breaking any links.

If you mean the pagemove plugin then I tried that for a while but came
to the conclusion (like severla other people) that it broke more
things than it fixed.

> >I tried this and couldn't get it to work properly.  There's no explanation
> >in the
> >dokuwiki documentation (that I can see  anyway) that tells you how a
> >{{<something>}} image link is actually interpreted.
>
> The namespaces[1] docs very precisely describe the grammar of a
> link. If you feel that this should be expressed more clearly, feel
> free to improve the "images" page[2]. It's a wiki.

But nowhere does it say that (for example) {{fred:image.png}} will be
found (supposedly) in the <dokuwiki>/data/media/fred directory.

> >For a start it appears in the browser address bar with _media rather than
> >just media
> >and then, in addition, it seems to add some/all of the namespace that
> >the reference is from.
>
> Ah... That's internal foo. AFAIK _media belongs to some rewriting
> for fetch.php. DokuWiki will take care of that, so you don't have
> to.

But I want it to be simply placed in the data/pages/<my page>
directory, going to data/media is just a nuisance.  I often edit pages
directly with an editor, if I coudl simply place media files in the
same directory where I'm editing page text files it would be much,
much easier to use.  What's the point of having a separate, parallel,
media hierarchy?

--
Chris Green