[dokuwiki] Re: License of the DokuWiki farming code

  • From: Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tanguy Ortolo <tanguy+debian@xxxxxxxxx>, dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 19:06:16 +0100

Hi Tanguy,

Sorry for this really very late reply.

I will also add the DokuWiki mailing list to the receivers as I don't know all of the authors of the farming scripts and people on there might be able to help.

Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

I am currently maintaining the Debian package for DokuWiki. Some users
would be interested by a multisite/farming support, as it is stated in
the bug <http://bugs.debian.org/331499>.

I found the page <http://www.dokuwiki.org/tips:farm>, that describes a
farming setup that may be useable to implement it on the Debian package.
That solution includes two script, one in PHP that is attributed to you,
and one in shell that is anonymous.

These scripts do not have any license header, and should thus be subject
to the global wiki license terms, CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0. This license,
specially its NC clause, forbids them to be included in Debian. Unless
you have a specific reason to prefer this license, if you are the author
of these scripts, would it be possible that you relicense them under a
DFSG¹-free license such as CC-BY-SA 3.0² or GPL 2/3?

Just note that I may not include farming support in the Debian package
immediately, though. I am working on the package and I must make sure
that it will be stable over releases, which adds some constraints. The
only thing I am sure of it that it shall not be able to include it as
long as it is using a non-free license. :-)

Note:
¹ Debian Free Software Guidelines,
<http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines>
² CC-* 2.0 are incompatible with Debian because of a small detail…

Regards,

As stated in the header of the script at http://www.dokuwiki.org/tips:farm#add_preloadphp that preload.php is a mixture of other scripts. I rewrote them and put them together. I am fine with re-licensing that part of which I am the author. (By the way, how does that work? Can I simply add a license header as CC-BY-SA and that will be compatible to its current license?)

But as I don't know who the authors of the other bits are, I don't know if I can just do that!?

Let's try to piece it together:
* The virtual host part from Drupal.org's /includes/bootstrap.inc: I guess that's fine, as Drupal is GPL2. * The $config_cascade part was originally written by Chris Smith. As that's based on what he wrote for DokuWiki's inc/init.php, it should be GPL2 as well.
* The htaccess part is a bit more complicated:
a) As they are only three lines of code, I'm not even sure if it's necessary to state an author? b) I took it from what was http://www.dokuwiki.org/doku.php?id=tips:farm2#preload.php1 back then, but as I rewrote those two farm pages shortly afterwards, it's not there anymore. As you can see from http://www.dokuwiki.org/tips:farm2?do=revisions, there is one entry which might bring us closer to its authorship:
    2008/07/27 22:00  tips:farm2 – updated to use preload.php *chi*

Chi, have you written that part? Or do you remember who it was?

Regarding the "addanimal.sh" from http://www.dokuwiki.org/tips:farm#using_a_script_to_setup_an_animal, I know that it was also Chi (Michael Klier) who put them together, but I don't know where the single pieces came from ... Does anyone on the list know that?

If the rest of the authors turn out to be okay with it (and probably add themselves as authors to tips:farm), I can re-license at least the first script (preload.php).

Thanks,
Anika