[dokuwiki] Re: Layout in dokuwiki using tables/divs/whatever

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 22:51:51 +0200 (CEST)
"Wouter Schoot" <wouter@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Mischa The Evil wrote:
I use the boxes-plugin written by Christopher Smith (http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin%3Aboxes), with some adjusted CSS-styles. This way I can place two colums of boxes side-by-side for "categorizing" my content. Also the boxes can have footers and titles. The title's can be made bigger --not using the normal heading-markup provided by DW (since these tags aren't parsed inside the boxes)-- using the [size=x]-tags provided by the bbcode-plugin written by Esther Brunner (http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin%3Abbcode).

Excellent plugin, seems to fit my needs, thanks!

I do really like such feature in dokuwiki's core though.

Wouter
After this thread I remembered the website of a 3pd plugin writer named Ikuo Obataya (http://wiki.symplus.co.jp) which is using the kind of same layout I guess you want. I did some research on this website to discover which plugin was used for it. I "discovered" that the markup used was not provided by any existing plugin. After that I emailed the person the following mail:

   Hello Ikuo,

   Due to a question asked at the DokuWiki Mailing List
   (http://www.freelists.org/archives/dokuwiki/08-2007/msg00033.html) I
   remembered your site at http://wiki.symplus.co.jp. On this page
   there are several places where you have good looking "boxes" (which
   are made using a syntax like <float leftbox300>...</float> & <float
   left>...</float>).
   I did look at the syntax-page to see if the plugin that provides
   this markup (and output!) was listed there but it isn't... Also you
   don't provide the plugin as if you've written it and put it
   available for downloading...

   I guess or you've written the plugin by yourself and aren't
   willing/able to share the plugin with the DW-community or the
   functionalities are provided by an adjusted plugin which is publicly
   available.

   Maybe you can/are willing to clearup the big mistery about how you
   have managed it to get the desired markup producing the wanted output?

   With kind regards,

   Mischa The Evil.

I got the following reply from him (very fast):

       Hi, Mischa.

       Thank you for contacting me and visiting our site.
       As you expected, the 'boxes' in our site are drawin by my
       'float' plugin.

       It works very simple. The plugin applies the style sheets of the
       class name of the argument such like 'leftbox300' or
       'rightbox400' for '<div>' html tags.
       I've not published it because it needs relatively large
       style-sheets definitions for each sizes of boxes. I didn't think
       it smart...

       But, of cource, I'm willing to publish the source codes of the
       plugin if it will help someone. I'll publish it the following
       location.

       'http://wiki.symplus.co.jp/computer/en/float_plugin'

       I think I should make the source codes neat up before publishing.
       So, please wait a few days!

       Best regards,
       Ikuo Obataya

As visible the mentioned page is created at the time now.

I haven't tested it yet but it looks quite nice. Note that I don't say that this plugin is in any way better that my earlier suggestion since I haven't tested this new plugin yet. But I guess it looks promising at least.... I think it's just another way of getting the wanted results... :-)

Kind regards,

Mischa.