[dokuwiki] Re: Internationalization in plugin descriptions (via plugin.info.txt)

  • From: Håkan Sandell <sandell.hakan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 19:59:11 +0100

Luis Machuca Bezzaza wrote:
>Mind a discussion of the i18n'n strategy?

Not at all ;-)

I agree that translations should "feel" normal, i.e. to some extent
supported by core functions rather than relying on developers
overriding functions. This makes it possible for more
(non-programming) people to expand the DokuWiki universe.

But...

1. Even if there are translations available the info.txt file should
have the English description, only a $desc keyword would prohibit
future uses of this file, related to plugin/template management by
automated scripts.

2. Do you have any thought on how to handle different descriptions for
plugins with several syntax components? Some plugins (tooltip) use
this and others (data) doesn't. At the moment, the info.txt framework
doesn't support this but I'm not sure it's necessary.

3. You haven't suggested it and I vote against it, but some plugins
have translations of the plugin name. Maybe this is great if we should
write a generic syntax helper/wizard for the editor AND the plugin
names had good descriptive names.

4. Reading the first post I thought about using the same work flow
that is used by admin plugins in the getMenuText() function. The
lang['menu'] has a special meaning, and if entered, auto-magically
used. Problem is that both 'desc' and 'description' are already used
by some plugins in other situations.

5. A somewhat related OO-thought: shouldn't syntax.php use composition
to avoid duplicated code from plugin.php ?

Sorry for only adding questions and few answers

/Håkan