[dokuwiki] Re: Installing Dokuwiki on hosted webspace

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:54:05 +0100

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:08:56 +0100
"J.L. Coenders" <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > This should work with setting
> >
> > $conf['savedir'] = '/path/to/webspace/data';

> I have tried the first option, using the full path to the root (/). It
> works  if I put the dokuwiki data directory anywhere in the www
> directory, but if I  try moving it to the webserver data directory, I
> keep getting:
>
> DokuWiki Setup Error
>
> The datadir does not exist, isn't accessable or writable. Check your
> config  and permission settings!
>
> Any idea what might cause this? Could it be that dokuwiki is unable to
> access  this webserver data directory because it is not viewable from
> the webserver?

Hmm... no DokuWiki does not access those files through HTTP but through
the file system. It could be that there is some PHP restriction set up
which denies access to this directory. But first make sure you give
those directories write access for the webserver user!

> Another thing I have noticed that in the cache directory dokuwiki uses
> the  standard webserver user to write files. However, because I do not
> have access  to this user (only the host has access to this) I am
> unable to delete these  files.
> Do you know how to change dokuwiki to write the files as a different
> uses/group?

You can't change this. The webserver runs as an unprivileged user so it
can't change the ownership of those files. However you can loosen the
permissions to let other users write (delete) those files.