[dokuwiki] Hello, a couple questions. :)

  • From: Eddie Parker <eddie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:07:50 -0600

Hello,

I understand this to be a development centric e-mail list for DokuWiki, so that's why I'm posing these questions here. :) Please shoo me to the appropriate place, if this is not in fact the right one.

Anyhow, the reason I'm here is because I would like to implement some code in DokuWiki, particularly I would like to fix issue #45 (http://bugs.splitbrain.org/?do=details&id=45): "Password Change".

To do this, I could see a good cause for refactoring a bit of the ACL stuff, to make it a bit more generic, etc, but I wanted to see what's preferred, since it's obviously not my code base. :)

Anyhow, the root of my change is this: I want to allow users to edit their preferences, which at this time is just e-mail, username, and password. Pretty trivial to do, in terms of getting the data, displaying it, etc. No problem.

Looking a little deeper however, the ACL that's used by default (auth_plain) stores things in just a plaintext file.

The format of the plaintext file isn't too bad, I believe it's colon separated or some such, but I was thinking this would be a great place to put XML in, especially since PHP has a very nifty xml_parse_into_struct, to get what we need, and writing it out is even simpler.

That said, I was looking into how I would either a) 'replace' auth_plain to use this functionality, or b) create an analogue to auth_plain (auth_xml?), and I noticed that there are no classes in use anywhere! (Near as I could see). Out of curiousity, is that policy, or preference? Just so I know what I should/can/can't do. :)

Also, on a similar note: what are thoughts on using PHPUnit? (http://pear.php.net/manual/en/packages.php.phpunit.intro.php) I haven't had much experience with PHPUnit, but I'm a huge advocate of PyUnit, Boost::Test, JsUnit, etc, and I wouldn't mind hooking my things up to proper unit testing.

Anyhow, this e-mail has gotten a bit out of hand. In summary:

a) Is this the place to ask questions related to dev work? (I'm pretty sure it is. :))
b) Anybody mind if I pick up the #45 bug, if I can manage the time for it?
c) Anyone have any complaints on how I'd like to go about making the auth_ change?
d) Can I introduce some new concepts (allowing they're not there, like I think they're not?)? (Things like classes, PHPUnit, etc?)

Anyhow, hope I'm not asking too much. I'm eager to help this good piece of software grow. :)

-e-