[dokuwiki] Re: Google Summer of Code

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:21:06 +0100

> Excerpts from Matthias Schulte's message of 2011-02-03 20:29:33 +0100:
>> We should also let the community decide what suggestions should enjoy
>> high priority and which not. I'm a friend of including the persons, who
>> are working in the end with the product. Not all ideas of developers
>> are at the end a benefit for the community.
>
> We already have the bugtracker where users can enter feature requests,
> e.g. the merging feature or the Git stuff are feature requests from
> users, the Git feature request is one of the feature request most users
> have voted for, moving pages is the other feature request most users
> have voted for. The other feature requests that have more than one vote
> aren't a lot of work imho and are rather a question if/how we want them.

Agreed. Additonally I see GSoC as a way to a) attract new developers
and to b) steer DokuWiki development into a direction we consider
right. Nothing against user feedback, but opening too open discussions
where users can send in their "wishes" isn't too helpful. Having
clearly defined projects where students can join in even though
they're not familar with DokuWiki yet is probably the better way.

Speaking about "steering" development: there was some discussion about
a git plugin or even an abstracted storage backend. Personally I don't
see the advantages of this and would prefer not to "waste" energies
here. But I might be wrong. If you are one of the people who think
this should be implemented: please improve the devel:ideas:git_backend
page and explain the advantages.

> So my suggestion is: Everybody who wants a certain feature can write it
> now here and there should be a similar request in the forum. If we
> should be accepted we will then have from March 18 - 27 to discuss the
> ideas with students.

Agreed.

splitbrain.org