[dokuwiki] Re: [GSOC] Rewrite Plugin Management

  • From: Piyush Mishra <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 08:44:43 +0530

2011/3/25 José Carlos Campos <zecapistolas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Michael Hamann
> <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I completely agree with you, I don't think using CTRL + Click is a good
>> idea, I've liked the checkboxes in your previous mockups a lot more.
>> Perhaps you could move that installed plugins out of the table into a
>> heading and add a table header "Select" hat makes it clear that the
>> checkboxes are for selecting plugins.
>
> I really like checkbox, and for 'Select All' I think this is the best
> solution.
>

>> I think that after such a rather major change users can also get used to
>> a new interface if the usability is really better.
>
> At the this time, my preoccupations is usability, usability, usability!

Agreed, I too made that change in my design after this discussion.

>> A part you haven't talked about are update notifications. I think there
>> should be update notifications, the plugin manager should ask the server
>> regularly in the background (e.g. in the indexer) for new plugin
>> versions and display an update notification if there are any updates
>> available. When I update software I'm always interested in what has been
>> changed compared to the version I've installed. Perhaps adding a
>> changelog for each plugin to the plugin repo and displaying all changes
>> from the currently installed version to the new version might be a nice
>> addition?
>>

> Display an update notifications it's piece of cake. :-)
> With notifications from DokuWiki ( http://goo.gl/dimsv ) it's really
> easy alert administrator of local DokuWiki for new updates for X
> plugin.
>

>> I think there should be some introduction to plugins that is displayed
>> when there is no plugin selected. But okay, that is a detail.
>>
>> Some other suggestions: It might be nice to display some popular or
>> featured plugins when you haven't searched for anything. In your table I
>> also can't see any way to sort it, I think that should be added.
>
> My ideas is: if search field is empty show Installed Plugins, if not,
> show Search Plugin and Installed Plugin which match with search.

I think what he meant here was showing a list of plugins which is umm
different from other plugins in a certain way.
eg:- already being downloaded a lot of times.
Or has been tagged "!featured" or something to mark it as a featured plugin.

>> Have you already thought about the security part? I.e. how users can
>> trust the plugin they're downloading? Perhaps some kind of review
>> system, or download URL change protection, or at least some feedback
>> that is sent to the server with a button "this plugin works for me"?
>>

> Yes, I thought a little about security.
> My idea:
> - When someone install a new plugin, it's more safe to start disable.
> After install user maybe has doubt for that plugin, so it's start
> disable.
> - On page of project has write: "Maybe creating a web of trust by
> having trusted people (splitbrain, chimeric, Chris-S, foosel, …) who
> then can examine code by others and trust them?" it's cool but I think
> this isn't a good solution, because 'trusted people' will have a lot
> lot lot of work to see all code from all plugins. But if users can
> vote on 'Authors' of plugins, we can have popularity for 'Authors'
> (similar to popularity of plugins and templates) and maybe with this
> we can have more opinions/feedback of 'Authors'.
> - Other idea, when you submit a new plugin for DokuWiki repository
> that plugin is signed with the user's private key or something like
> that? If a 'Author' had 99% of popularity and if his plugins is all
> signed with his key, we can trust on this person and his job, no? I
> think, so.
>
> ---8<---
>
> I improve the mockups and this is the result.
>
> 1. Installed Plugins ( http://goo.gl/CkxET )
> - Checkbox (again) to select one or multiple plugins;
> - Now we can sort the table (name, popularity);
> - Popularity field;
> - In description now we can see tags for that plugin.
>
> 2. Searched Plugins ( http://goo.gl/pbM8q & http://goo.gl/ogkaB )
> - Now we have a little padlock, what this mean? Means if padlock is
> open and red this plugin isn't secure (because, it's bad for public
> Wikis, or the Author isn't not safe [he has low popularity], or it
> isn't compatible with that version of Wiki, anything bad and not
> secure);
> -  What you think about 'Info' box?
>
> And now mockups for 'Templates':
>
> 1. Installed Templates ( http://goo.gl/iY9Un )
> - For select a template to use, I put a radio button, so with this we
> cannot select then more on template.
>
> 2. Searched Templates ( http://goo.gl/DkIsM )
> - It's similar to search plugins.
>

> Cheers, ZéCarlos