[dokuwiki] Enhancing {{image}} syntax

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:53:34 -0500 (CDT)

'Ello y'all,

What do you think of extending {{image}} syntax to allow the following?

(1) Including the image without a link to a details page.
(2) Including text (rather than an image) that links to a details page.
(3) Including an image that links to the details page of a different image.

(1) would be useful when the details page provides neither additional
information nor a larger image, since it spares the user from wondering why
there was a link.  (2) Allows paragraph text to casually refer to images by
linking text to them.  (3) Allows a person to carefully crop a thumb maximizing
pertinent detail while still having that thumb link to a larger image that
includes more context around the thumb detail.

One way we can do this is by making {{}} notation analogous to [[]] notation.
Since we have [[page-id|link-text]], we might have
{{details-image|link-contents}}.  Perhaps it would look like this:

(1) {{|thumb.jpg}}
(2) {{details.jpg|very cool image}}
(3) {{details.jpg|thumb.jpg}}

This does present two questions, though:

  * How do we know whether the link contents is text for inclusion or an image
filename/ID?  Perhaps we look for a trailing image file suffix?  Or just a
period?
  * How do we specify the alignment of the included image?  As follows?

Inline: {{details.jpg|thumb.jpg}}
Left: {{details.jpg|thumb.jpg }}
Right: {{details.jpg| thumb.jpg}}
Center: {{details.jpg| thumb.jpg }}

I'm currently just using the following notation to implement feature (1), but
thought we might think about generalizing this before I commit it to the source:

{{image.jpg?nolink}}

Of course, 'nolink' works alongside the regular image parameters, such as image
size.

Thoughts?

~joe