[dokuwiki] Re: Dokuwiki farm question

  • From: Christopher Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:57:11 +0100

On 21 Oct 2009, at 07:44, Karl Loncarek wrote:

Did you consider using domains?
Do you mean a new Dokluwiki installation with each domain?
E.g. http://animal.someserver.com/doku.php

Access to the lib/exe scripts is no longer an issue.
Preload.php is used to choose the farmer/animal configuration based on the $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] value. All dokuwiki scripts are in one place, making updating straightforward.
Ah, now I understand. Well OK I agree. Maybe I misunderstood something completely. But as I understood, this would work perfectly for a hosted webserver on internet. I plan to create an internal (personal) webserver using Abyss Webserver on windows (no access to the DNS server allowed. Therefore it is (at least I think) quite difficult to create a separate domain (especially in a company, for a simply computer an entry in the HOSTS file would be enough I think). And that exactly is the problem: How can I achieve that Dokuwiki knows each time it is called that an animal started it without using a specific domain? What would be the best and cleanest way to do it? Another parameter in the URL?

I guess the circumstances around your farm are unusual, which to me at least, makes it a poor case for justifying changes to dokuwiki core.

Sorry, when I read "windows and not apache", I assumed IIS(*). I'm not at all familiar with the Abyss Webserver, but a quick google and glance at the website shows that it supports "url rewriting". Rewriting the incoming url allows you to map animals onto the farm. E.g.

Incoming:      http://sub.domain.tld/[animal]/doku.php
Rewritten to:  http://sub.domain.tld/doku.php?animal=[animal]

Again, you're back to a single dokuwiki installation and using preload.php to choose the farmer/animal configuration based on an incoming value, $_GET['animal'].

- Chris

(*) IIS doesn't support URL rewriting which makes single domain farming more difficult.