[dokuwiki] Dokuwiki farm question

  • From: Karl Loncarek <dh2mll@xxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:19:22 +0200

Hi to everyone,

Currently I use a PmWiki farm, but I plan to switch to Dokuwiki for private and office usage (In office I want to create a new Wiki). I want still work with a wiki farm. DokuWiki is not designed to work as farm at the moment.

After looking into sources I found that one additional constant would help very much (next to changing the array $config_cascade).

As I use Windows and not an Apache Webserver the hints given for farm installation do apply only partly.

I would like to create farms very much the same way as with PmWiki as this is the simplest and cleanest way: In the Animals main directory there should be a PHP file that contains some configuration (mainly setting some constants correclty) and then calls the "doku.php" of the farmer.

First of all I think this is a good way to do it. Therefore I downloaded the latest sources and started working on it.

I managed it so far (had to change several files so providing this simply as tip is not a good idea IMHO) with one limitation: The helper applications like indexer.php or mediamanager.php do not work correctly at the moment. I have to think about how to call them or what to change there. (I have an idea, maybe it works).

Nevertheless a standalone dokuwiki still works as before despite my changes (no additional config necessary).

@Andi and the other developers:
1. What do you think about this approach?
2. I would like to have those (wikifarm preparing) changes incorporated into the official sources. Do you see a chance for that? If yes, where should I post the patch? Here? 3. In case this patch(es) will find a way into the official sources i.e. the actual development version, should I make the patches available, even if the helper applications do not work (at the moment)? ( I have to check whether an change of the helper appliactions would help, i doubt that. I think there has to be a different solution) Or should I post them only when I'm finished and everything works as desired?

I hope the above states clearly enough what I have in mind. If not please tell me then I'll try to explain more in detail. Thanks.

P.S. Personally I think there should be a special farminstall script, maybe later, first I want to have the farm working properly ;-) .

Regards Charly