[dokuwiki] DokuWiki as a documentation management system

  • From: "Jay Dickon Glanville" <dickon.glanville@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:45:05 -0400

Hello all.

I'm currently using DokuWiki to manage some of our developer docs.
It's a wonderful tool.  Many thanks.

We're starting to see the need for 'proper' documentation management.
Note the 'quotes', because we're not sure who means what, when they
say 'proper' doc management! ;-)

The general consensus within the group is that 'proper' doc management
includes things like the following:
- Documents have a state.  eg: draft, pending approval, approved, etc.
- The state determines the actions that can be performed on the
document.  eg: if approved, it's read-only.  If a change has been
made, the state automatically reverts back to draft.
- In order to achieve approval state, one person from each associated
department needs to give their OK.  Once a doc has received X
approvals, it automatically progresses to an approved state.

One of the benefits of DokuWiki is it's simplicity, and lets face it:
process adds complexity.  I'm worried that DokuWiki won't be able to
satisfy our growing needs.  (I really want to continue to use DW.)

What this boils down to is that we need a documentation management
system.  But, I want it to be a simple to use a DokuWiki.

Now that I've taken too long with my preamble, here's the questions:

Does anyone know of a plugin (I've searched and can't find one) that
will allow me to manage my DW articles in a process similar to what
I've listed above?  (I've thought about using a "state" section at the
top of each article.  I.e.: managing the process by hand.  However, I
don't believe that this will satisfy everybody - some will want
automatic process, not manual process.)

If I can't achieve this through DW, can you suggest something that can
help me?  What doc management system works well for you?  Should I
look at something dedicated to the task (eg: Knowledge Tree), or
should I look at other alternatives, like a content management system
(eg: Plone)?

What documentation process do you use?  How well does it work for you?

Thanks for your help.

JDG
--
Jay Dickon Glanville