[dokuwiki] Re: Developers Manual and Documentation (where two mails)

Sebastian makes the point that the development pages need cleanup:

"Cleanup old discussions/comments (make them first order info if valuable otherwise remove them)"

And Andi agrees that these pages need "serious cleanup". In some of the worst cases the interspersed comments become an impediment, makung it hard to distinguish between the text and the commentary. It would also be nice to get rid of those FIXME's that scream out at the user. I don't know if this is a practical solution. But I just finished re-designing a site using DokuWiki as a CMS and adopted the Discussion plugin for user input. It's a great plugin. If a link to a discussion page could be placed at the bottom of each devel page, then the commentary could be kept temporarily separate, and then eventually any valuable comments could be integrated into the devel page. It shouldn't be too much work to write a plugin that creates the link to the Discussion and then creates the Discussion page itself, if one doesn't already exist. I've automated creation of Discussions on the above mentioned site, not as a plugin but via an ajax call from the browser; it shouldn't be too onerous to convert it to a syntax plugin.

Just a thought,

Myron

Andreas Gohr wrote:
Improving the documentation now finally brings me to the second
thread. Sebastian made some suggestions at
http://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:manual about improving the developers
docs. His suggestions look very much like a book outline to me ;-)

Sebastian, first: I like most of your suggestions but because it's
easier and fits with what I want to say in general, I do some
nitpicking here ;-)

I most certainly agree that the pages in the devel namespace need some
serious clean up. Especially the plugin pages are a real mess right
now.

Adding simple and easy to understand examples to all devel pages is a
must as well. +1 on that.

--

Myron Turner