[dokuwiki] Re: Default template, first cut (rough)

  • From: Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:15:24 +0100

On 11/08/2011 18:29, Matthias Schulte wrote:
Are there any cons which speak against a dynamic width of e. g. 80 %?
I personally don't like it when the main content of pages is only displayed
on one half of the display and the sides are just blank. Especially in the
context of a Wiki where it's major content-driven.

I partly agree and partly disagree.
I like flexible layouts much better, but since big screens are getting more common, to see the whole content stretched across ridiculously high resolutions makes the text much more difficult to read. People often argue that people with high resolutions mostly don't have any fullscreen windows anymore (for precisely that reason that it gets unreadable). But in that case your argument is invalid anyway (because you wouldn't see those blank spaces on each side).

I think readability is more important than flexibility. Therefore the width should always be relative to the font-size (i.e. it should be specified in em). But with default browser settings that width should approximately be 1000px so that it fits the currently most common browser resolution (1024x768).

To make it easier for users to define whatever width they want, we can have a style.ini replacement for e.g. __site_width__. That way you can specify your own width (and make it 100%, for example) very easily.

Cheers,
Anika