[dokuwiki] Re: Content-dependent Purge/Cache

  • From: Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 02:42:43 +0000

Ben Coburn wrote:

On Jan 10, 2007, at 11:35 AM, Todd Augsburger wrote:

I have a dokuwiki that appears differently to "editors" (those logged in) than to the general public. The editors would like to include comments (on
wiki pages) that will be invisible to the general public.

So I wrote a plugin which handles the comments properly. However, caching needs to be turned off for pages which contain these comments, since they're
user-dependent. My solution (which works) is:
1) A syntax plugin renders the comment as either visible or invisible,
depending on the user, then uses p_set_metadata() to set a flag which
suggests that the page be purged.
2) An action plugin hooks PARSER_CACHE_USE and uses p_get_metadata() to get
the flag. If set, I then set depends['purge'] = true so that the page is
refreshed.

[...]

So ... I have 3 specific questions:
1) Is there a better way to accomplish this? (Is there no other way that the
plugin can request that the page not be cached?)
2) Step 3 seems awkward and inefficient, because I re-read the file when
it's rarely changed. Is there some other way to tell if the metadata may
need a refresh?

This may be entirely too clever to work, but what about this.... Use syntax and action plugins that operate independently (without touching the metadata).
It does work. I use essentially the same method in my (as yet unpublished) update of the include plugin. The plugin regenerates a cache name which includes the users ability to view the included pages. I have posted the code for the cache manipulation at http://wiki.jalakai.co.uk/dokuwiki/doku.php/tutorials/include_cache - and although determining the status of all included pages is more complex than this requirement, the basic logic is the same. I've functionalised the inclusion check which determines the additional part of the cache name so "all" you would probably need to do is replace that part with your own function for determining visibility of the notes.

As Ben mentions your cache size will increase. But individual xhtml files are generally small and disk space is cheap.

Cheers,

Chris

1) Syntax plugin: Same. Displays notes for users that are allowed to see them.

2) Action plugin - PARSER_CACHE_USE:
Do not use depends['purge']. Instead, partition the cache by changing the cache file name if the user is allowed to view notes. Some pseudo-code:
$cache = $event->data;
if (user can view notes && $cache->ext=='xhtml') {
    $cache->cache = $cache->cache . '_notes';  //change cache file path
}

This would partition your cache of 'xhtml' data into the default 'xhtml' cache that does not have notes and the 'xhtml_notes' cache. The rest happens automatically, so you retain the speed of cached content. The only obvious down side is that this will double the size of your 'xhtml' cache.

Note: You may also need to do other things to protect the notes, such as preventing guests from displaying the raw dokuwiki markup for pages. See disabled actions in the config documentation.

Regards, Ben Coburn