[dokuwiki] Re: Content Multiple Language Support

Linas Valiukas wrote:

There's a HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE parameter in HTTP request (can be accessed by $_SERVER PHP variable). Browser sends a list of accepted languages and engine can choose what output to produce.

I think there is a little more to it than that. (Although that is a good start).

Since dokuwiki wikilinks already support links in the format [[page|display]] it would support [[base language page|native language translation]]. eg: If the user is French, on the french page the link is [[dog|chien]] which loads data/pages/fr/dog.txt if it exists, and data/pages/en/dog.txt if it doesn't (assuming that en is the base language). If the language is set to fr and data/pages/en/dog.txt exists, the default text with a new button "translate this page" appears. If neither page exists, then the standard make new page (without the translation button) is displayed.

This might require pages to be put in data/pages/[cs|da|de|en|eo|...]

Does this require too much effort in terms of the translator? (they need to try to keep wiki links as the base language names the same page? I don't think that this is too bad - the base text, including all the links, is already there.

As for media - My assumption is that it should be language independent (but it might not be? - all of mine is). This could be managed in a similar manner - if it is necessary to load a new media file it goes into a lang specific subdirectory?

Thoughts?

-Robin