[dokuwiki] Re: Categorization?

  • From: Paul Woods <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:51:26 -0500

Koen Huybrechts wrote:
Paul Woods wrote:

Are there any plans to provide more robust categorization in DokuWiki, similar to the methods MediaWiki uses?

I know there is at least a partial solution using the category and backlinks plugins. It also appears that some people may be using namespaces to implement certain kinds of categories. However, my wiki will be encyclopedic in nature and I think namespace-based, hierarchical categories would be too strict.

I've done a fair amount of reading and searching on the DokuWiki site, including the wishlist, and I haven't seen a whole lot mentioned about this. Is this just something others don't require? I can see how wikis that are created for documentation would be fine with just a table of contents, but encyclopedias can really benefit from all of the cross-linking possible with categories.

Thanks,

Paul

isn't there a plugin on this already??
(http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:category)

koko

Yes, there is a category plugin (as I mentioned in my original message), but all it does is format and link a list of categories for a given page (unless I am missing something). If a user clicks one of the category links, the backlinks plugin can be used on the category page to display all the pages that link there (which isn't quite the same as a category list but might be close enough). However, MediaWiki has additional features such as the ability to control the sort order of the page when it gets listed on the category page.

I was just curious to know if a more advanced categorization method was in the works or would even be considered a worthwhile endeavor by those that do DokuWiki development.

Paul