[dokuwiki] Building a book from DokuWiki

  • From: <holmberg_jason@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:30:22 -0400

Hello!

I would like to build a professional book using DokuWiki as the starting
point and PDF as the final deliverable. I've read up on some of the
export plug-ins, but the export process for an entire wiki seems like
rough terrain.

The more I use DokuWiki, the more I see its great power and potential.
It's best wiki software I've used, and I have used a few wikis
professionally. Building a book seems to be a great use of it (i.e. I
can collaborate with subject matter experts, editors, etc. without
circulating files and manually mimicking changes). I have attended
conference presentations about writing books in wikis, and it always
comes down to a final, somewhat laborious process of getting content out
of a wiki and into a traditional book building package.

I'm interested in building a book from DokuWiki. I would prefer never to
leave DokuWiki, but in a worst-case scenario, I would like to be able to
export my content intelligently into another open format and then easily
generate a PDF from there. I would like to export a pre-defined assembly
of topics, rather than just page by page export or a massive dump of all
content.

Before I begin, I want to ask the community: how would you approach
this? Does some of this functionality already exist in the form of
plugins? Has anyone else done this?

Thanks in advance!
Jason