[dokuwiki] Re: Best practices of multiple documentation releases

  • From: "YC Chan" <peter.chan.yc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 10:06:01 +0200

Best practices of multiple documentation releases

WIKIs are traditionally used for 'living' documents i.e. ones under constant
change.
When a version is finalised and need to be archived for later reference, the
'usual'
WIKI practice is to build a PDF version and archive it as an attached
document.
It becomes difficult for searching and comparison, especially when you have
multiple
versions.

So much so for the usual treatment. Maybe the latest versions of commercial
WIKIs have
a better way: if you know of any, please keep everybody informed!

IMHO: Maybe we can 'dream' of something better, some add-in or some function
to implement;
of course, it is not available now...

- Making copies is a bad solution because of having to manage redundancy.

- New Function: Checkpoints/Version release: in the history of each page of
the DW base,
we should be able to 'delete' all changes since the previous checkpoint. It
is a kind of
purge or 'selective forget'.
 - If needed, make a backup beforehand.
 - Users should not be able to restore versions before than the latest
checkpoint, maybe
   just to see them
 - Differences between versions of the same page can be displayed (DW:
restricted to current
   copy and one previous version), but if some information have migrated
across pages,
   it is not visible (a new kind of global difference function is needed)
 - The Search function must display the title of the checkpoint concerned.

Any contributions from anyone else?

2007/7/1, Pavel Shevaev <pacha.shevaev@xxxxxxxxx>:

Folks, we're using dokuwiki for managing all documentation of our
software project. It's getting pretty large and we need to have
multiple versions of this documentation - each version for one major
release.

We have the following schema of large releases: 2007.1, 2007.2, 2007.3
and so on. Once we make a release we copy the "trunk" directory of
documentation into new directory called after the release. Once copied
we apply simple perl one liner which fixes all links for all pages in
this directory.

Well it works but honestly I'm not sure how good this solution is.

The biggest issue is searching, some stuff is duplicated from release
to release and when someone finds duplicated entries there's no easy
way to say to which release this stuff actually belongs to without
proceeding the link.

Another issue is quite a dirty way of fixing links for each release
after copying it (some CLI script in bin directory, say, "dw.php"
could be very helpful, e.g:

$php dw.php move foo:bar zoo:foo
$php dw.php copy foo:bar zoo:foo

)

Hence the question, what do you think about it? Any tips, suggestions?
Maybe it makes sense to have a separate dokuwiki installation per
release? Thanks!

--
Best regards, Pavel