[dokuwiki] Best practices of multiple documentation releases

  • From: "Pavel Shevaev" <pacha.shevaev@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 23:58:02 +0400

Folks, we're using dokuwiki for managing all documentation of our
software project. It's getting pretty large and we need to have
multiple versions of this documentation - each version for one major
release.

We have the following schema of large releases: 2007.1, 2007.2, 2007.3
and so on. Once we make a release we copy the "trunk" directory of
documentation into new directory called after the release. Once copied
we apply simple perl one liner which fixes all links for all pages in
this directory.

Well it works but honestly I'm not sure how good this solution is.

The biggest issue is searching, some stuff is duplicated from release
to release and when someone finds duplicated entries there's no easy
way to say to which release this stuff actually belongs to without
proceeding the link.

Another issue is quite a dirty way of fixing links for each release
after copying it (some CLI script in bin directory, say, "dw.php"
could be very helpful, e.g:

$php dw.php move foo:bar zoo:foo
$php dw.php copy foo:bar zoo:foo

)

Hence the question, what do you think about it? Any tips, suggestions?
Maybe it makes sense to have a separate dokuwiki installation per
release? Thanks!

--
Best regards, Pavel