[dokuwiki] Re: Autosubmit popularity data (FS2025)

  • From: Michael Hamann <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:34:52 +0100

Hi,

Excerpts from Guillaume Turri's message of 2010-11-24 20:52:13 +0100:
> I had a look at
> http://bugs.splitbrain.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=2025 (Make
> option to autosubmit popularity data once a month), and tried to make a
> patch.
>
> I'd like to know if it seems right, and if not, what should be changed.
>
> Basically, the main modifications are:
> - Introduction of the parameter $conf['autoSubmitPopularity'], which
> represents how often the data should be submitted

In DokuWiki all configuration variables are using underscores instead of
camelcase (e.g. it should rather be auto_submit_popularity).

> - Introduction of the function autoSubmitPopularity(), called from
> doku.php, which send the data if needed

The submission of the data should imho happen in the indexer, the code
for doing that should be placed in the popularity plugin. Calling
plugins (even if they are part of DokuWiki core) from within non-plugin
code should imho be avoided. Thus I would rather add that as a listener
to the INDEXER_TASKS_RUN event. Just another small note to your changes:
Why are you adding a get function for the URL if you don't use it?

Furthermore at the Hackfest in Zurich we thought about adding something
like that you submit the data manually for the first time and when
submitting that data an option is given to automatically submit that
data from now on (and there should be some good options like every
month). So I think the popularity plugin admin page should get
some additional fields for that and perhaps also a notice if
automatically submitting the data is enabled and when it is enabled the
time of the next submit.

Apart from that thanks for working on that feature, it would really be
nice if you could reorganize the code as described above, perhaps add
that feature described in the last paragraph (but that could also be
added as a second step) and send a new patch.

Michael