[dokuwiki] Re: [Ad] DokuWiki Sync Plugin

  • From: Robin Gareus <robin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 23:00:19 +0100

Andreas Gohr wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> yes, by a strict definition this mail is spam ;-) so feel free to skip
> it, but you will miss something great :-P

That's great indeed! I've been looking forward to wiki synchronization
becoming of interest to more PPL.

> I make it short - this is to announce a new plugin for DokuWiki called
> "sync". As the name suggests it allows you to sync pages and media
> files between two wikis. IMHO this is the best invention since sliced
> bread of course

Hehe, as announced earlier on this list, I'm synchronizing mult.
dokuwiki sites for ~2 years now.

The "simple" implementation addresses the same use-cases (offline wiki
editing) as your Sync plugin. I'm using 'rsync' to synchronize the
underlying data&meta info. (see  http://rg42.org/wiki/dokursync ) -
Andy's upcoming plugin is probably much easier to set up and also
provides merge/diff features. I'm looking forward to it.

The "advanced version" is using PubSub (XEP-0060). DokuPubSub publishes
a diff or serialized dokuwiki-data in an Atom and uses XMPP for
transport. The intention here is to liberate dokuwiki, and allow for
large-scale content sharing and collaborative editing. It's pretty much
work in progress, but you can find a [working] prototype at
http://rg42.org/wiki/dokupubsub . Since it's a huge projects I'm looking
 for coders interested to join this project.

I'm currently recursing dependencies and got sidetracked with an OAuth
plugin for dokuwiki. DokuOAuth is independent from the PubSub endeavour
and may be of interest for the Sync Plugin as well. (from the
screenshot's I gather that one must specify a password for the Sync Plugin)

I assume the DokuWiki-Sync Plugin performs direct XMLRPC requests to all
"subscribers", is that correct? Can there be multiple subscribers to
which the Sync-Plugins publishes updates?

Since I can't look at the source (just yet): Is the Sync plugin using
it's own 'curl' function to perform the requests or does it invoke
inc/HTTPClient.php?  (If it's using the latter, it would be possible to
transparently sign requests with the OAuth plugin)

> [..]
>
> I already set up the plugin page at
> http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:sync and you can read more about the
> plugin and the "sale" in my blog at
> http://www.splitbrain.org/blog/2009-03/08-dokuwiki_sync_plugin_for_sale
>
> Andi
>
> PS: don't worry I don't plan to do that on all my future plugins ;-)

That's good to know. I won't be able to help you financially and
personally dislike the idea of /selling/ FLOSS on "advance bounty".
Good luck to you anyway.

cheers,
robin