[dokuwiki-i18n] Re: Input methods for Dokuwiki - jQuery plugin

  • From: Erik Moeller <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 19:25:38 -0700

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So could you give a short intro on what this actually does and when
> it's useful? My guess would be that I would use this if I use a
> keyboard mapping/system language that is different from the language I
> want to write in and am not able to change this setting?

It's basically whenever you'd like to type in a given language, but a)
the characters of that language aren't on your keyboard, and b) your
OS doesn't have the required input method installed, or you don't know
how to activate it.

This is similar to the functionality Google offers e.g. on Google in
Hindi (but without the on-screen keyboard, so far):
http://www.google.co.in/webhp?hl=hi

The rules are defined in:
https://github.com/wikimedia/jquery.ime/tree/master/rules

User-facing documentation is being worked on here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Narayam

The German input method is a bit of a hack, to type e.g. the word
"Flöße", you would type "Fl~o~se".

Known issues/bugs here:
https://github.com/wikimedia/jquery.ime/issues

Cheers,