[dmusofties] Re: Anyone remember FP and Haskell?

  • From: Paul Kennerley <kennerley_paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dmusofties@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:04:38 +0100 (BST)

Interesting comment, and its good to see a techincal
debate starting.

I have no wish to start a flame war, but I would like
to point out that one of the advantages of using a
Haskell is that programs can be proven to be
mathematically correct (something not possible with
OO, as there hasnt been a calculus developed to do
it).

However, if anyone is really hung up about lazy
evaluation and code coverage, then there are FP
langauges with eager evaluation. Eager Haskell is one
of them.

I do admit that FP is a difficult concept to get your
head around, especially if you have been used to
imperative langauges (I really didnt get it the first
time around, and I'm not sure that I understand it
100% now) and this may prevent (or slow down) the use
of FP in industry,  but FP ideas are creeping into
modern languages such as Python.

Does anyone else have any views on FP?

Paul

--- Nick.Adamson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Paul! 3 words, "GET OUT MORE!"
>
> I'll never know how Jenny managed to get most of us
> to scrape through
> that exam!
>
> I can't see FP really ever being used in industry.
> There's know way it
> would get safety rated.
> All the stuff we do which goes out has a safety
> level and to get a SIL
> level you have to do code coverage analysis as part
> of the test results.
> I don't know how you could do code coverage with FP
> as the code is only
> ever run when it's needed.
>
> Cheers.
> Nick.

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease
of use." - PC Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html