[delphizip] Re: New format - a suggested name

  • From: Alistair George <bigal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 08:02:38 +1300

Hello All,
We had the QIC format and various other formats through the years (this is
relating to backup software of course). Now QIC is redundant with Microsoft XP,
why, there is no explicable reason which makes older backups inaccessible in
that
O/S. Some of the other formats are excellent BUT
ZIP remains the most popular and, IMHO if _at all possible_ it should be
retained  and  kept compliant with INFOzip standard. So, if headers are modified
as gslrunk/Gerard cleverly suggests earlier, the file remains compatible.

There are other standards which compress better, but who really cares with
increased disk space these days and use of CDR/RW media for transportation this
is not an issue usually.

For  the selfish reason I am developing backup software _the most disconcerting_
issues at present with DelphiZIP (and for that matter other zip) is that:
a) they have potential problems with file counts over 4k
b) the zipdll will not handle empty directories eg c:\jobs has no files, but has
several directories within containing files. If c:\jobs\*.* is sent to the DLL
it wont zip the contents.

Unlikely  but;  I  was  wondering if 'disk spanning' is used whether the 4k file
count  is still an issue. Also if disk spanning is used that its Achilles heel
in  that to get the directory on any disk other than the last requires the last.
Perhaps this might be worked through on the header info pointing to a current
directory file appended in the current disk also???

Cheers,
Al+

--
Regards,