[delphizip] Re: NanoZip, the DLLs, etc.

  • From: Gerard <gslurink@xxxxxx>
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 03:42:17 +0200

Hi all,

As always I have too much projects going on, but I think it is worth it to
invest some time here. Compression has a wide use, and I would be glad when
I have something to rely on.

I agree with James that
- compression/decompressison algorithms
and
- file operations on compressed blocks, headers, directory etc

are essentially two different things that could be split very well.
I think most of us would glad to have at least the second totally in
Pascal. The (de)compression algrorithms would need to be written once and,
provided they are error-free, never need any attention.

It would be ideal if the DLL's would stick to the (de)compression and
Delphizip or an equivalent do the latter. Unfortunately, as far as I can
see it, I must agree with James that too much work is done by the DLL's. Of
course it is convienient that you just can say 'add this file to the zip'.
but if you want something more, it is annoying that you can't get to it.
The DLL's are a blackbox to me, there is very much hidden which I cannot
access. I have no C compiler and have not used C in many years.
It would be great if the two were seperated, but have a clean, simple
interface to each other. It would be easy to extend or replace either of
them as the need comes.

Please understand me correct, I very much appreciate the efforts of the
writers and maintainers that have put many hours in the Delphizip project
free of charge. I have been using the DLL's with pleasure for many years,
directly by my own code and indirectly by the use of freeware zip programs.
But there is more to explore, zipping has more use than adding and
extracting files from an archive.

Nanozip is an interesting project. It would be great to cooperate. I saw
that there are some familiar people there which I know from the mailing
lists from Mike Lischke's Virtual Treeview and Jim Kueneman's Virtual Shell
Tools. Since Adem has dedicated his nanozip to Chris (Vleghert), I'm sure
he's willing to have some kind of cooperation. I'm afraid that nanozip
cannot completely replace the 'lower levels' of the dll's as it only
supports Stored and Deflated compression. But it is a start and for some of
us it may be enough. I like Adem's 'content' approach. I was already
considering approaching Adem and the others on the nanozip list, but I will
wait for some more reactions from this (Delphizip) list.

Regards,
Gerard.