[delphizip] Re: Keeping old versions of a file in a zip archive

  • From: "Roger Aelbrecht" <Roger.Aelbrecht@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:46:25 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alistair George" <bigal@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Russell Peters" <delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 7:33 AM
Subject: [delphizip] Re: Keeping old versions of a file in a zip archive

> Hello Russell,
> RP> When adding files in OnSetNewName ' append sequence number' to all
files (ie
> RP> ".#101#").
> RP> When Extracting also in OnSetNewName, remove the appended 'sequence
number'
> RP> (make it readily 'findable').
> RP> Provided can Overwrite on extract you will (eventually) be left with
the
> RP> latest file.
> Sounds great - I will work on it and post my code later for the groups
use.

IIRC in the old days when we used VAX, this file systems kept all versions
of a
file, the user had to remove older versions manually.
They added a sequence number after the extension
You got text.txt;1, text.txt;2 etc..
I not sure about the separator culd have been a '.' as well
When a file was requested it always gave the lateste version, if we needed
an earlier we had to identify it with the sequence number

Just my 2 cents

> RP> Personally I think the exceptions should be handled externally to
ZipMaster!
> RP> Russell Peters
> I agree that all user interface errors should be handled by the calling
routine,
> not Zipmaster, but for that case, there should be an example error
handling
> routine for all the possible user interface errors so that new programmers
could
> work it without to much ado.
>
> Anyone else comment on the above error handling?
>

> Kind regards,
> Alistair+

I also think exceptions should be handled outside the components but we have
to be carefull to have an exception handler.
Imagine how many request will come in saying 'It doesn't work'
and no error messages at all

Roger Aelbrecht
http://web.wanadoo.be/driehoeksw