[delphizip] Re: Co-operation between NanoZIP and DelphiZIP

  • From: Eric.Engler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:16:29 -0500

>I don't agree with the proposal of making Nanozip the compression
>engine and Delphizip the VCL archive manipulation component.

I think we don't want to combine our projects, at least not right now.
Russell and Roger have their own ideas on where they want to go, and it
wouldn't be easy to integrate our Nanozip and Delphi Zip projects.

We can be still be friends with the Nanozip people! These are both freeware
projects and we have no reason to consider each other as a competitor. We
are offering open source projects in an effort to help people, and we both
want to enable programmers to support the zip format.

I don't know about making a new compression format. I think this is a great
idea, but it's not really something that lines up with our Delphi Zip
project.  I would prefer to see a new group started to discuss a new
compression format. If anyone wants to start a new group for this purpose,
I'd like to recommend the "freelists.org" site to host the group. The email
groups are free there, there's no advertising, and it's pretty easy to set
up and maintain.

Of course, if someone were to set up a new group for compression formats, we
would let them advertise that fact here. But we don't want a lot of detailed
messages about new formats here in this group. This should focus on the
Delphi Zip project.

Thanks,
Eric