[delphizip] Re: Co-operation between NanoZIP and DelphiZIP

  • From: Alistair George <bigal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gerard <delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:11:17 +1300

Hello Gerard,
I hope that if the others here want to move with it they do so as
I agree with you that Adem has a certain degree of urgency on this rather big
change he has recently made  which is undergoing and needs valuable input to
complete its direction in a timely manner.
Your comments below (and Nanogroup mails I read) show the urgency of this:
G> I acted so quickly because Adem is working hard on his Nanozip and had just
G> done a major restructuring. It wanted to start the discussion with him on
G> modularity as soon as possible, so that Adem could direct his work
G> immediately in this direction if he was to agree. It would be a pity to

Re your comment below:
G> I don't agree with the proposal of making Nanozip the compression engine
G> and Delphizip the VCL archive manipulation component. I like very much
G> Adem's container/content abstraction and his use of streams and I would not
G> like to loose that. I think the Nanozip component and Delphizip can very
G> well coexist, and even other similar components could be developped, which
G> all could potentially choose from the same set of compression engines.

I would humbly suggest that if the Nano/DZip group transpires (hopefully) that
we (Gerard, Eric, James, Roger, Adem, [I am happy to help]) suggest the various
methodologies we could adopt to complete the common goal and have an general
questionaire to put to the groups as a whole.
That way everybody can express their point of view and providing the group is
cohesive enough, the final goal will be reached with a co-ordinated,
professional result rather than with disjointed, semi-cooperation.

G> If there is any hope on a common effort, please let's try to look in the
G> direction of the goal we want to achieve. I am very sorry if I hurt anyone,

Agreed. Now I have got to do some work ;-) I remain available to help in any way
should I be needed. Programatically I am just returning to Delphi so would be
better serving helping you Eric or whatever.
Alistair+