[ddots-l] Re: powered monitors

  • From: "Shawn Brock" <shawn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:36:09 -0700

You know, the one thing I have always done is to take sample material with me when trying out monitors.

If you take a record that you have worked on and know inside and out, you'll be surprised how much difference you will/ can hear with each monitor...

Mostly one isn't better than another, just different. I got used to the M Audio BX8A monitors, and still like them though I have owned monitors which were 5 times the price.

The question you must ask about monitors is, what is "true"? Everyone says they make "true and balanced" monitors, but they all sound different. The best thing a person can do is to buy a pare which will last, that you like the sound of right out of the box, and learn to mix on them. Every room and every set will be different. Getting a set which sounds good out of the box to you, and doing some mixes on them is the only way to go. Some monitors I have worked on tend to over extend the highs, and when you take a mix to hear it on other systems, you won't hear the highs you thought you had. So you learn to compensate. That's what the audio production business is all about, how good you can compensate, and how good you know your setup...

I only wish I had the money back that I have spent over the years on monitors and microphones. I always wanted something better, cleaner, and bla bla bla. Some times I did make an improvement, but most of the time it was money wasted. Lots of times its not what you own, but how well you know how to use it. That's what always makes the biggest difference. I know lots of guys with $20000 worth of microphone, pre and monitors that couldn't make a recording that would sound better than a guy with a $200 setup. And no, I'm not making these statements about anyone on here, just tossing out the point that the business of audio engineering is still 80 percent skill, and 20 percent equipment. And you can't buy your way around the learning curve, (not that anyone is trying to do that).

I like Yamaha and the M Audio BX8A and hate subs, but I haven't shopped for monitors in many years, and am sure I'm out of date. I got sick of every year companies saying they had this new space age improvement, only to find out that it was no improvement at all.

Shawn Brock
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nickus de Vos" <bigboy529@xxxxxxxxx>