[ddots-l] Re: pocket recorders for stage

  • From: "Mike Tyo" <mtyo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 16:22:00 -0400

Hey Gord,

Don't know if you've heard about this one, but I just acquired the Plextalk
Pocket that Freedom Scientific introduced a few months back. It's totally
accessible from the ground up. Even though it's a Daisy unit, you can record
Wave files at 16-bit with a sampling rate of 44.1 KHZ. It'll play back 24-bit
files as well; moreover, you can connect a high quality stereo mic to it if
you're going to use it to record a live situation. Even though it records in
Daisy format, you can transfer audio files right to your computer to do
standard editing, etc. It also has line-in capabilities, plus an accessible
recording level meter. It'll also support up to a 32-gig SD card. I'm using it
primarily as a player for support tracks when I'm performing. I would think
that it would do nicely for folks that are looking for something portable that
will give you a decent stereo recording.

I do like the fact that it'll let you read audio and text-based Daisy books,
Audible books, text files, and it has wi-fi capabilities for downloading
podcasts and listening to Web radio stations. You can even record voice memos
too. I haven't used a high quality stereo mic on it as I don't have one as yet.
I think it's a pretty neat little gadget.

Take care.

Mike