[ddots-l] Re: motif

  • From: "Steve Wicketts" <steve.wicketts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 12:32:00 +0100

Thanks so much Tim.

off to give it a whirl.

Steve W

www.jerryleelewis.co.uk
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Burgess" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 11:42 AM
Subject: [ddots-l] Re: motif

Should be possible.  Things to check out:

1 - One or other of your devices (sequencer or PC) needs to be the timing
master and one the slave. Check your hardware sequencer to see what timing
options it provides (MTC, MIDI Time Code will probably the easiest road to
go down) and decide which device is going to be the master;

2 - The Sonar Help system has a number of very good step-by-step examples
when using Sonar as either the master or the slave for this kind of work, so
I'd encourage you to have a good read;

3 - In Sonar, set up 16 MIDI tracks, each with its own MIDI channel and arm them for recording from the MIDI In port that your sequencer is attached to;

4 - What happens next depends on which device is acting as the master.  If
the sequencer is the master, you'll press R to record in Sonar, then Sonar
will pause until you press the Play button on your sequencer.  If Sonar's
the master you'll probably have to perform some operation on the sequencer
before telling Sonar to record

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess
Raised Bar Ltd